U.S. Customs and Border Protection Posts Reminders to Foreign Travelers about Immigration Requirements

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is reminding foreign travelers and people with Mexican border crossing cards (also known as the laser visa) about key requirements to enter the U.S., including how to get an I-94 permit and when an I-94 permit is required to enter the U.S. CBP is publicizing this information in time for the upcoming summer travel season.

As a reminder, U.S. immigration law requires any foreign traveler wishing to temporarily enter the U.S. for business or pleasure to establish that his or her period of travel is temporary in nature. Unless it is specifically stated otherwise, every foreign traveler is given an I-94 permit (the Arrival/Departure Record) upon entry; this provides proof of the person’s admission into the U.S. Mexicans entering the U.S. with a border crossing card do not need an I-94 permit, unless their intended period of stay is greater than 30 days and/or they are traveling more than 25 miles from the U.S./Mexico border. Please note that border crossing cards do not give people the right to work in the U.S.

It is U.S. law that all foreign travelers should possess their entry documents and, potentially, the I-94 permit, with them at all times while in the U.S. Entry documents and I-94 permits are reviewed at border checkpoints and travelers who do not have the correct documentation may have their visa cancelled and be deported.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s